PDFTron Systems, a leading software developer specializing in PDF, SVG, and PostScript technologies, today announced the release of a new major version of PDFTron PDF2SVG, a stand-alone command-line application for high-quality conversion of PDF to SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) that maintains the original document layout and preserves hyperlinks, colors and fonts.
The new release of PDF2SVG features a completely revamped conversion engine that generates smaller and more efficient SVG output, while significantly improving the conversion speed. The new version also features options to generate bitmap thumbnails and a high-level XML summary, both of which are extremely useful in web publishing (i.e. e-Books, brochures and catalogues), as well as document repurposing, archiving, etc.
The new release also introduces support for the Mac OSX® platform, providing Mac OSX® users with the same range of features and options for PDF to SVG conversion already available to Windows® and Linux® users.
Other enhancements include bug fixes and other improvements, such as automatic repair of files with broken cross reference tables and a new configuration file for frequently used options.
Key Features of PDF2SVG:
- High quality conversion from PDF (Portable Document Format) to SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) that maintains the original document layout and preserves hyperlinks, colors and fonts.
- Compression and SVG optimization to produce smaller files.
- Generation of stand-alone SVG files (i.e. SVG files with embedded resources) as well as for SVG files with shared resources.
- Thumbnail generation.
- All text is converted to Unicode dramatically simplifying text manipulation, editing, and searching.
- Font embedding and font substitution options.
- Option to extract document-level information with no counterpart in SVG (e.g. metadata, bookmarks, annotations, etc).
- Batch conversion: convert single files or whole PDF repositories in batch mode.
- Efficiency: The conversion speed is suitable for interactive and dynamic applications.
PDF2SVG is also available as a library component (PDF2SVG SDK) providing software developers with a powerful toolkit that can be used as a building block for other client and server-based applications. The core technology is available for C, C++, C#, Java, VB, and others.