PDFTron Systems, a leading software developer specializing in PDF, SVG, and PostScript technologies, today announced the release of a new major version of PDFTron PDFSecure v.3, a stand-alone command-line application designed to apply, remove or modify security settings on PDF documents or whole directories of documents.
The new release features support for 128-bit AES (Advanced Encryption Standard) encryption and Crypt filters (a new feature in PDF 1.6 and Acrobat 7). Another new feature is PDF linearization and optimization, also known as 'Fast Web View', which enables faster access or viewing when downloading PDF files from the web or a network.
With added platform support, the new version of PDFSecure gives Mac OSX® and Linux® users the same range of features and options for PDF document encryption and decryption already available to Windows® users, including the ability to:
- Encrypt any PDF document using AES (Advanced Encryption Standard) encryption and Crypt filters. AES and Crypt filters are a new feature in PDF 1.6 (Acrobat 7).
- Encrypt any document using standard PDF 40 and 128 RC4 bit encryption.
- Modify security settings (for example, change passwords or security permissions).
- Completely remove security from existing documents.
- Set of modify document information metadata such as Author, Subject, Title, Keywords, etc.
- Linearize and optimize existing PDF documents for 'Fast Web View' capability and faster downloading.
Other enhancements include bug fixes and other improvements, such as automatic repair of files with broken cross reference tables and a new configuration file for frequently used options.
PDFSecure is ideal for server-based, on-demand encryption and decryption of PDF documents based on specific security requirements or for batch processing of PDF collections that require uniform security and permission settings across many documents. PDFSecure is particularly useful in assembling product catalogues, brochures, and forms.
PDFSecure is also available as a library component (PDFSecure SDK) providing software developers with a powerful toolkit that can be used as a building block for other client and server-based applications. The core technology is available for C, C++, C#, Java, VB, and others.
An evaluation version of PDFSecure Command-line application is available for download . The demo version's limitation is that all pages in processed documents will have a demo stamp.